CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

God Is Testing Me

This year, I decided to try to be a nicer person. In general I am really nice, I babysit on a moments notice, I cover for people at school events, I take food to sick families, I volunteer for everything...I am your go to girl! But there are things that I am just not very nice about. It is in those ways I hope to change and become a better person this year. For example, I will no longer assume you are a bad mother when you are dragging your screaming child around Target by their hair...I will just know you are having a bad day and pray it gets better. I will no longer call you a dumb ass when you forget to pick up your kids from school...or even forget that today is a school day. I will simply remember that you have been busy volunteering at some very important event and your child was not in the forefront of your mind. The biggest way I am challenging myself to be nicer this year is to stop laughing at people when they fall down (or even stumble). I am trying not to laugh now just typing this because to me, it is simply funny when people trip. I am mean. I know it. But I am working on it. Since making this commitment, I feel like God is testing me. Everywhere I go He is just knocking people down right in front of me. Seriously! It happened 3 times in two days...and I didn't even crack a smile. I did not laugh at the lady who ran across the auditorium to turn in her offering at Church and then turned around and tripped right into the front row of seats. That was really hard for me! But I did it! I just said WOW! She is really anxious to give! At the bank this guy waited for me to cross the parking lot and get in my car before pulling into his spot. I was thinking what a nice guy he is when he stepped out of his car and ate it on the speed bump in the parking lot. I just pulled out and drove away, still thinking he must be a nice guy (with a brand new hole in his jeans)Then yesterday when the stud in the tank top with his guns blazing (you know the type) was rushing down the sidewalk and stepped to the curb to pass a group of old people walking really slow fell off the curb and bumped into a car and then pretended he was going to open the back door anyway...I didn't even chuckle. I just thought, he is in good shape (for someone who can't walk) UH OH! I feel myself slipping already! I am trying really hard not to laugh at these misfortunes. My question is...if I laugh 10 minutes later when I replay it in my mind does it count?? How about 5 or even 10 years later when I retell the stories of my husband falling on his ass twice and I laugh so hard I pee my pants...does that count? Does it make it even worse that one of the times he fell, I wasn't even there to witness it but it STILL makes me laugh? Seriously! This is a hard hard task for me. But you can help me...please don't ever fall in front of me. It is even funnier when it is someone I know! You all can help me by just staying on your feet, watching for imaginary pebbles in the road, staying on the curb and picking up your feet when you walk! Thank you for your assistance!

2 comments:

Kristi said...

I'm sorry, I would have laughed at the studly guy. That's all there is too it. I don't care how nice you are.

Lisa P said...

Does it count if you hold it together and then blog about it so that your blog readers are all laughing at them, thus multiplying the actual amount of laughter they receive?

That's a toughie.