CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Winter Wonderland

Quick Recap

1 1/2 hour drive turning into a 6 hour drive to the mountain house makes for one grumpy mommy. It was not a good start to our trip. It was an interesting weekend.

1st problem, pouring rain and traffic, the princess has to pee. Slowly merge. Run into Circle K, pick out some snacks, soaking wet. Ask clerk for bathroom key. Get told it is for employees only. But I am a customer I say. I am buying these snacks. My children have to go quite badly. NO, he replies. BIG MEAN MOMMY VOICE used to cause a scene...Well then we will NOT be buying this stuff here then. Get in the car kids. This place sucks. Not my finest moment but I was ticked. Cross the freeway to gas station. Run in, soaking wet, big sign...Restroom out of order. OH NO! Ask the clerk where she goes to the bathroom and throw circle K under the bus to a room full of people. Washington exit. 5 miles away. In the rain and traffic. With a child that has to go NOW! She made it. My mood was foul.

2nd problem, STUPID, yes STUPID people who stop in the middle of the lanes to put their chains on instead of pulling over. Creates a traffic nightmare in which it takes 2 1/2 hours to go 3/4 of a mile through the chain inspection lane. Did I mention my mood? Kids did awesome. Dogs, not so much. At one point, after being stopped for 10 minutes, I actually got out and walked the dogs on the side of the highway. Kept entertained by texting my husband about the insanity, talking to the little girl hanging out the window next to us and blasting some music my grandma didn't approve of. Her thought...play something calm so the kids will nap. NAP? Yeah right. I turned it up louder. It was my mood that made me do it you see!

3rd problem, arrive at mountain house at 9:30pm. Kids and dogs go wild in the snow. Did I mention it had been 6 HOURS in the car????? 22 degrees, car parked down icy steps. It takes 127 trips to get everything I packed up to the house. I don't exaggerate. Really!

4th problem, get all creatures dried off, feed dogs, crap, no meds for the white one. The one with special needs. Can't tell grandma, she will have a heart attack, literally. Formulated a plan which started with phone calls to the vets at 6 am, a Valentines Day visit to the Arrowhead Animal Hospital and Rite Aid, got meds, told grandma, are things going to get better now???

5th problem, fancy Valentines Day dinner scheduled at 6. Tired and grumpy kids who were up until 11:30 the night before, roughly 4 hours past their bedtime! Long wait for dinner. Falling asleep on table. Princess does her schedule BM at 7pm. It burns, there are tears. Another trip to Rite Aid for "tushy cream". Meals come. Mommy is up and down cutting food, they don't like it, trade plates, don't like this either. Eat your fries, that's dinner for now, I'll cook you something at home. Crying kids. Dad asks for check, I haven't eaten one bite of my meal. Boy do I miss my hubby!!! I want to go home!

6th problem, Princess wakes up with a cold, coughing, sneezing, raspy voice. Another trip to Rite Aid for comforts. Still couln't keep her from wanting to play in the snow.

7th problem, it is time to leave! There was a lot of fun before this point, however I was ready to go home. After 3 days of reminding kids to keep the gates closed, my wonderful brother forgets as he is packing his car. Where's Serafina? GONE! Back up...did I mention the storm had rolled in? The great storm of '09? Yeah, 45 minutes of running along the highway in the snow, while it was storming, in jeans. We found her, and pneumonia. I was soaked, SOAKED! Sweaty. MAD! And not looking forward to listening to grandma obsess over "what if" the whole drive home. Get in the car kids...it's time to end this nightmare!

So I swear we had a good time despite all this! Here are some pictures to prove it!

















6am...The view from the guest house to the main house. I haven't seen this much snow there in years.












Building






"The Worlds Biggest Snoman ever made by kids!"















The end result...IT IS HUGE!
















Snow stud at 7am

















Snow bunny at 7am







Ice Skating

























Sledding














See...I can have fun!















Romantic Valentines Dinner (gone wrong!)







All the kids in front of the lake! They are standing on snow that is piled higher than the fence, it is icy cold water straight below them!

5 comments:

Kristi said...

I love your stories.

It's so funny how pictures can make you feel like everyone is SO happy. I like to hear the truth behind the pictures, so thank you for that.

This was so ARROWHEAD...behind the music.

VikingMom said...

I heard it was nightmarish getting up the hill last weekend...I'm sorry that you had to deal with all the fun. You're such a good person. The poor dog would've died from the lack of meds if she'd been in my hands. Maybe that's why we only have a lizard and a tarantula? Low maintenance.

Overall, I'm sure your kids thought it was the greatest weekend ever!

Sarah B. said...

You are a good Mom. I canceled our vacation (to Crestline). I heard it was going to be bad so I canceled. Made my kids sad and the lady that we rented the cabin from yelled at me...yes, she told me "it will be beautiful on Sat"..but what about the getting up there part and the leaving part and the insanity doing those things. God Bless you for doing it!...And I still paid her for one night because I felt bad for canceling.

Heidi said...

Oh Gina.... If that had been me, I'd be in jail right now.

Sorry it was kind of disasterous - but I'm glad you had fun anyway!

Lyn said...

Great stories and pictures. What wonderful memories for you and the kids. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us. That snow was gorgeous!