CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, December 29, 2008

Streamers Are Your Friend


You all know I go a little over the top for holidays. Not in an extravagant, spend a lot of money kid of way, but a bit excessive nonetheless. The Leprechauns visit, Santa rides in on his sleigh, the Easter Bunny has a key to the front door, the Tooth Fairy flies in through the windows, and the house is always decorated for the first (and last) day of school. But for birthdays, I get a little bit nutty.

It all started with the Birthday Fairy a few years ago. She would sneak in the night before the kids birthdays and create a bit of mischief with streamers and banners. Eventually she bought some window markers and started writing on the windows and mirrors. The kids know its me now, but they still expect, and anticipate the whole affair. Part of the fun is that they never what I will do with the streamers. One time, I trapped Dylan in his bed with streamers. I have blocked their doors, wrapped their chairs, left streamers hanging through doorways for them to run through, and one year decorated Dylan's Razor for his ride to school.

Mock all you want, but to me, birthdays are special for kids. It is one day a year that is all about them. It is THEIR day! And they love it! This is especially important for Megan whose birthday falls 4 days after Christmas (strike 1). She also shares her birthday with my Mom (strike 2). My Mom always remembers my grandma pulling a Christmas gift out from under the tree and declaring it a birthday gift too. It is a painful experience for her. I will not do this to my daughter. Most years I bust my rear to get Christmas down before the 29th. It didn't happen this year but the house is still all about Megan tomorrow! Of course there are the streamers, banners and window messages...but this year there is a new addition...balloons. I used balloons on chairs, windows and created some barriers in doorways for her to burst through in the morning. Just adding a few balloons made it even more fun (and more work...but every minute was filled with JOY)

Sometimes I wonder if it is time to end the decorating and chaos. Tonight I got my answer. All week we have been making a big deal about Megan's last "day" being 5. We acknowledged that it was her last Monday being 5, her last Tuesday, etc. Today started with Megan racing into my room, declaring "It's my last day being 5!!!!" It was a really nice day. After Church, we celebrated her last Sunday being 5 by going to my Mom's in San Diego for our 6th (and final) Christmas celebration. After a fun day, we drove home. Despite being in jammies and having her teeth brushed, Meg was too amped up to go to sleep in the car. She rested for a while but then declared "I can't go to sleep!". She was so excited for her birthday! I had to stop to get some whipped cream (her request for the topping on her strawberries on top of the waffles that will be sitting on a bed of powdered sugar and next to some bacon and fruit). At 10pm, she skipped through the store with me, giggling about how much fun it will be being 6. As we pulled in the driveway she ever so sweetly said, "Mommy, I would really like it if you decorated the house with streamers tonight!" Sigh....how could I even think about ending this tradition?

So I am here to tell you, streamers are your friend. it is a cheap and easy way to spread some birthday cheer around your house. I wish I could share some pictures of tonight's Birthday Fairy shenanigans, but sadly the MAC died (another story for another day). Friends, it doesn't take a lot of money to make a birthday special for your children. And I am happy to be the Birthday Fairy...even if it means being up 'till 1AM.

4 comments:

Sarah B. said...

You sound like such a fun Mommy! And I love streamers too...I don't use them enough but they do make anything more festive. Hope Megan has a fun all about her day.

Diane Davis said...

you are such an amazing mother.

Kristi said...

maybe you should rent out yourself out ms. birthday fairy??!!

and i love the added touch of balloons. they are my FAVORITE!!!!

Heidi said...

You're incredible.

I want to hire you for the next holiday.

Pleeez?