CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 10, 2008

The Kindness Of Strangers


So I have been training for this race. We have a few problems going into it. 1. We really have no idea what is in store for us. 2. We have a borrowed bike straight from a garage sale with no shocks. Who knew they made a mountain bike with no shocks? 3. My "buddy" hates biking. Hates it. She is terrified! 4. I haven't run since the first week of June. The few times I tried my bursitis hurt too badly so I stopped.

So we have a few strikes against us. One thing that we do have is a sense of adventure. It is that adventurous side of me that has me going out to ride the mountains with a group called "Trail Angels". This great woman started the group almost 10 years ago as her ministry. She is sharing her love for mountain biking with women all over So Cal while at the same time leading by example, and just spreading joy and love for God and Jesus. It is simply a great group of women who took me under their wing on my first ride, taught my about my bike, encouraged me, and took me down some fun hills. Slightly embarrassed by my ghetto bike and lack of funds to buy proper biking equipment, I took what they taught me and have been riding on my own for the past few weeks. But the e-mails have been speaking to me, calling me out and making me crave another ride with the Angels. Today I decided to suck it up and ride with them again. I am so glad I did!

First, I was pushed, hard. It was done with a lot of love and encouragement, but I was pushed. After a nice 4 1/2 mile warm up I went 1/2 mile up hill. Straight up hill. I only stopped once when there was some sand I couldn't get through. I need to practice that. At the top it was decided to go down a hill called "Rock It". I thought they meant "Rocket" as in speed. I am naive. It was as in rocks! Lots of them! I was guided down by someone who saw me ride last time I knew I could handle the challenge. During this time she saw my love for the sport and my (in her words) "natural ability" and decided to give me a bike. Literally. She gave me a $1400 bike that her son outgrew within a few months of buying it. It's my size. It has shocks. It is awesome.

For me this is a big deal. I am a giver. I give and give of myself, my time and all I can afford. I do not receive well. This was hard for me to accept. But when she said it was headed to the Goodwill I drove her home and picked it up. I am incredibly grateful for her generosity. I am so thankful that there are people like her in the World, who sincerely care about others and are willing to give without an expectation of anything in return. Of course I will do something in return, probably in the way of a gift card to the local cycle store I know she goes to.

The Trail Angels are truly Angels. I have enjoyed riding with them, am grateful for their instruction, and love riding with women who do it for the love of the sport, in the spirit of The Lord!

And now that I have a real bike with real equipment, I will be anxious to ride with them again soon!

BTW...My ass is killing me! Uphill is hard!!!

3 comments:

VikingMom said...

That is so cool! Enjoy your awesome gift and the killer butt your going to have from all that biking up hill. Just think you'll be able to wear hot pants! :)

Diane Davis said...

what a great story! very very cool. i tried mountain biking and HATED it. i'm too much of a chicken. the thought of going downhill on rocks gives me a stomach ache.

Sarah B. said...

That is a great story...and I think it is awesome that you stuck with it!